Friday, March 28, 2014

World Cup will be bonus —Osaze

Stoke City striker Osaze Odemwingie would welcome the chance to experience a World Cup ‘bonus’ with Nigeria in June.

The 32-year-old has, after a couple of difficult years, got his career back on track at the Britannia Stadium.

A swap deal involving Cardiff City and Kenwyne Jones took him to the Potteries in January, and he has responded with four goals in eight appearances for his new employers.

It is now being suggested that an international recall could be on the cards for a man who was frozen out after suffering a difference of opinion with head coach Stephen Keshi in 2012.

Odemwingie admits certain issues would need to be ironed out before he returns to the Nigeria fold, but he would jump at the chance to grace a Brazilian showpiece if given the opportunity.

He told The Sentinel: “I had a stressful 2013. Now I just take it week to week. I have a son who will be born in the summer and I have another already making me really happy.

“It’s how I think now after last year, that things can always be worse. Today I already have more than I wanted three months ago.

“Everything else is a bonus, but every player would love to go to the World Cup.

“If things seem right for me and, most importantly, I am made to feel like I could help the team, then why not? We will see.”

Keshi has hinted that a reunion with Odemwingie could be on the cards, with the problems of the past having been laid to rest.

Keshi said in Lagos on Tuesday: “He (Odemwingie) sent an apology to the Nigerian FA and included my name and that of some other coaches.

“We have been talking and things are good. Osaze will have the same chance as every other player to be in the World Cup training camp.

“But even if he is invited, he would still have to prove he deserves to be on the 23-man list.”
Source: Punchng

No comments:

Post a Comment