Friday, August 10, 2012

Usain Bolt powers right through the barriers of history


 
There he goes again. Usain Bolt last night became the first athlete in history to retain the Olympic 100m and 200m titles: a feat that has eluded the greatest names in track and field. The world’s fastest man has run right through history’s barriers.
“I’m now a legend. I’m also the greatest athlete to live,” Bolt declared, with some justification. With his bow and arrow celebration, he would probably win the archery as well. And the long jump. And anything else that calls for speed.
To mark this latest conquest, Bolt dropped to the track and performed a couple of press-ups: a novel display of showmanship that fell on the comic side of arrogance.
After blasting away from his younger compatriot and training partner, Yohan Blake, before slowing up to win in 19.32sec, Bolt said: “This is what I wanted and I got it. I’m very proud of myself.
“After a rough season I came out here and did it. I thought the world record was possible. I guess I was fast but not fit enough. I could feel my back strain a little bit, so all I did was to keep my form. I’m very dedicated to my work and London meant so much to me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment